The Waterloo Regional Police Services Board is responsible for recommending an annual budget which is presented to Regional Council for approval. The operating budget, managed by the Chief of Police, was $135,147,530 in 2013.
PURPOSE STATEMENT: The Waterloo Regional Police Service is committed to a leadership role in crime prevention and law enforcement in a community partnership to improve the safety and quality of life for all people.
To comply with all applicable legislation; to promote an open and accountable partnership with the community for effective participation in determining how our community is policed; to achieve a safer community by developing, promoting and evaluating crime prevention, law enforcement and community programs; to continue to develop human resources and systems to ensure the availability of competent and qualified staff representative of the community.
(1) Staffing underspent due to over provision of anticipated salary settlement, vacant Civilian positions, Maternity/Parental leave savings and lower than expected costs for benefits. Not sustainable for 2014.
(2) Investigation expenses, computer equipment & licensing, legal fees and retirement/resignation payouts greater than anticipated.
(3) Intelligence special projects and proceeds from sale of police vehicles higher than expected.
(4) Grant monies were higher than expected due to additional one-time grants throughout the year.
(5) Decreased funding from Pride partners due to lower than anticipated program costs.
(6) Recoverable revenue for secondment positions greater than expected.